Howard College - Big Spring, Lamesa, San Angelo, SWCID

Residence Halls

  • Hits: 43823

Campus Housing Application 2017-2018

Big Spring Campus Residence Halls
2016-2017 Campus Housing Application (Summer 2017 Only)


Residence hall living provides the student the opportunity to further individual educational development through social interaction with fellow students. The college maintains its residence halls in the belief that the experience in group living and self-discipline which they afford is wholesome, contributes to academic achievement, and helps materially in the development of a mature responsible person.

All Non-Howard County students enrolled at Howard College Big Spring or SWCID in nine hours or more are required to live in college residence halls unless they meet one of the exemptions established. Release from living in the Residence Halls is not automatic. All students meeting one of the exemptions and wishing to live off campus must submit a completed Request for Exemption Form to the Dean Student Services Office prior to making arrangements to live off campus.

Room furnishings include beds, mattresses, chairs, wastebaskets, study areas, cabinets, mirrors, closets, and storage compartments. All student rooms have cable TV at no additional cost to you. Lobby areas have color televisions and vending machines. If money is lost in a vending machine, do not try to retrieve it. Report losses to employees in the building, and they will try to collect your money from the vendor.

Internet services in the resident's room may be accessed by one of two methods. Free wireless internet throughout entire dorm with multiple access points. There are also individual high-speed internet hook-ups in each dorm room.

A computer lab is located in each residence halls are for residents and staff use only. Computers are to be used for educational purposes only. Web activity may be monitored.

Each hall is equipped with non-coin operated laundry machines in the laundry room. A small laundry fee is assessed to residents each semester.

Residence halls are equipped with kitchens that residents may use and each dorm has a RO drinking water faucet in either the kitchen area or vending area.

Residence Life

Select a topic below for more information.

V Decorating

With little creativity and a little effort, you can quickly and inexpensively transform your room into "your space" a "home away from home". We encourage you to personalize your room however you like. While you may decorate the inside of your room to suit your taste, the outside of your door and window(s) are considered available to public and must be appropriate.

V Electrical Appliances

Certain types of electrical appliances are permitted in the residence hall rooms provided they carry the Underwriters Laboratories approval on both the appliance and the cord; they do not cause disruption to the electrical circuits by overloading, shorting, or creating line disturbances; and they do not disturb other residents.

Approved items include stereos, alarm clocks, radios, televisions, irons, hair dryers, heating pads, fans, small refrigerators (not to exceed 6 4.3 cubic feet in size), and electric blankets. Except for coffee pots, crock-pots, and popcorn poppers with self-contained heating units, cooking appliances are not allowed. Two large appliances (microwave and refrigerator) will be allowed per room (four per suite). The residence hall directors must approve all appliances.

V Payment on Account

A Howard College Residence Hall application along with $100.00 room deposit must be submitted to the Dean of Student Services Office or the Residence Hall Director before a room reservation is made. It is not applied toward room and board payments. This deposit must be maintained in your account at all times, and damages/fines may not be charged against it unless you are leaving the residence hall. Each student resident must sign a Room and Board Housing Contract prior to moving into the residence halls. The contract will outline the cost of living in the residence halls. Charges are based on an academic contract approximately 9 months and do not cover official holidays shown on the college calendar.

V Room Assignment

Returning students have the option of selecting roommates and rooms before the end of the year. All efforts will be made to honor roommate requests, and the Residence Hall Directors will place residents based on information from the coach, advisor, and/or sponsor (if applicable) and from information indicated by the student on the housing applications when no roommate preference has been listed. No resident will room alone unless there are odd numbers and/or the resident wants to pay double the room cost and space is available. 

V Overflow Housing Wing

In the event Turner Hall reaches maximum capacity and results in an overflow situation the following will occur: Female students will be placed in a separate, secure, all female overflow wing located at the Partee Residential Complex. As space opens up in Turner Hall during an overflow situation, students will be moved from Partee Complex back to Turner Hall. 

V Residence Hall Directors

Residence Hall Directors live in the residence halls and are available to assist students. The RHDs will enforce college policies, monitor the conditions of the residence halls, and carryout intermediate discipline when necessary. RHDs will let the residents know the hours they are "on duty" and will provide a telephone number where they can be reached after hours for emergency situations only. Students are encouraged to contact the supervisors for any concerns or needs. The supervisors will help or will refer the situation to appropriate personnel. 

V Residence Assistants

Resident Assistants are students who live in the residence halls and are available to assist students. RAs are responsible for monitoring the desk during visiting hours, monitoring noise levels during quiet hours, and passing along information to residents. There is one RA assigned to each hall in their respective dorm. Students interested in becoming a RA should contact their Residence Hall Director. 

V Mail Services

Residents must check with the Howard College mailroom located in the Student Union Building as soon as possible to activate your mailbox. The mailroom is open from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday and from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. on Fridays. Upon checking with the mailroom staff you will be provided with your mailbox number and combination. All dorm students are required to have a mailbox in the campus mailroom.

Howard College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, veteran's status or any other protected class in its programs, activities, admission, or employment practices.  The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:  Director of Human Resources, 1001 Birdwell Lane, Big Spring, TX 79720, 432-264-5100.  For further information on the policy of non-discrimination, visit this link for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area.