Faye's Thoughts on Howard College
Why Howard College?
Howard College offered my major – Health Information Technology.
Why Health Information Technology?
This is my second career. I have always been interested in the medical field. I researched what type of jobs in the medical field would be a potential future for me. The health information/ medical records field was expanding with different types of jobs (other than typical hospital jobs) and the demand was rapidly increasing.
When I graduate, my next step is to study and obtain my certification - Registered Health Information Technology (RHIT). I plan to pursue a job on the administration side of medical records or the information systems side of the health care electronic record system. I would like to be involved in the new coding system and train end-users.
One of my first teachers was Carla Ebling in Anatomy I and II. She is passionate about her subject matter and loves to talk about it. She makes an effort to help the students get to know each other, besides her wanting to get to know her students. She is always striving to learn more and offering out of the box thinking. She is open to her students and willing to help in any way she can for her students to be successful.
My Awards / Honors
- Certificate of Achievement – Maintaining a GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Outstanding Achievement - Health Information Technology 2011-2012
- Who’s Who’s in American Colleges and Universities 2013
My Clubs / Organizations
- PTK (Phi Theta Kappa) President 2012-13
- SGA (Student Government Association)
- HCAV (Howard College Association of Veterans)
- Member of CVHIMA (Concho Valley Health Information Management Association) since 2011
- Member of AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) since 2011
- Member of AHIMA Mentor Program 2012-2013
- Member of TXHIMA (Texas Health Information Management Association) since 2011
- Member of Health Information Technology Advisory Board since 2012
- Volunteer at Shannon Medical Center in the Health Information Management Department
- Member of TXHMA Student Liaison group
Best Studying Advice
Plan a schedule when to study each week and a time to relax/play, and then stick to your plan.
Most Valuable Learning Experience
Do the best you can when giving the opportunity to learn, and also do not be afraid to ask your teachers for help or advice. Utilize all resources available to you at Howard College.
Relax and Have Fun
I am a non-traditional student, so I am happy to be at home and relax or go out to dinner with my family. We like to camp and attend NASCAR races.
What I like most about Howard College
Being a non-traditional student, there are all age groups attending this school, so you don’t feel out of place or intimidated. Everyone is so friendly and easy to approach if you have questions or problems. All the staff and faculty are welcoming and happy to help their students in any way they can.
What I tell future Howard College students
Enjoy your time in school, make friends, and get involved in at least one club or activity. Enjoy this experience to the fullest.